Cafés

Hnjótur Museum in Örlygshöfn in Patreksfjörður, displays a unique collection of old items from the Southern Westfjords.

The museum shows the history of fishing, farming and everyday life in the area.

At the museum is an exhibition about the rescue of the British trawler Dhoon that stranded at Látrabjarg cliffs in 1947.

At the museum is an attractive cafeteria, souvenir shop and information center.

Opening hours: Daily from 10:00 - 18:00, May 1st to September 30th.

Please contact for visits outside scheduled opening hours (museum@hnjotur.is or 456 1511)

The Leif Eiriksson center is an exciting destination for all ages, where stories of the voyages of Erik the Red and his son Leif the Lucky (also called Leifur Eiríksson), discovering parts of Greenland, Canada and the US, are presented in a new exhibition, consisting of works from ten renowned Icelandic visual artists. An audio guide will lead you through the history as you view the magical world of the exhibition. Afterwards you can enjoy a quick bite to eat or some good coffee on the ground floor.

Open daily from 12-18.

Dalahyttur is a family run company and offers 9 rooms with accommodation
for up to 27 persons.

There are three 15m2
houses with facilities for up to 3 persons. Each house consists of sleeping
area with 90 cm beds, a kitchenette, dining area, a bathroom with a shower,
WiFi and car parking for each house.

We also have six 20m2 rooms
in three houses with accommodations for 3 persons in each room. Every room has
a separate entrance, 16 cm bed, 140 cm sofa bed, an en suite bathroom with
shower, armchair, coffee and tea, WiFi and free parking for each room.

Reception and a restaurant are located in a renovated Quonset house at
our premises. From the hut you can enjoy beautiful mountain view over three
valleys. In total darkness, late at night in the winter, it is nice to sit
inside or outside on the patio and watch the Aurora Borealis when they appear.

Dalahyttur is centrally located in the west part of Iceland and is well
suited for a few nights stay while enjoying day trips around West Iceland and
the southern part of the Westfjords.

For booking information, please contact us at:

Mobile: +354 869 8778

Email: gudrun@dalahyttur.is

Visit the local favourite, the CAFÉ at Sudureyri, at the heart of the town. It is a special place to be as it obtains its relaxed atmosphere and cozy environment not only from the people who work here, but also from the sum of historical parts and relicts it is made of.

Enjoy wonderful refreshments, surf the Internet, book your tour, buy local artwork and discover district relicts.

Tales of sea monsters have played a colourful role in Icelandic folk culture for centuries, and several written accounts of them can be found all around the country. Today, these elusive creatures have been given a worthy home at the Icelandic Sea Monster Museum, located in the village of Bildudalur on the shores of Arnarfjörður fjord, said to be one of the most prolific centres of monster activity in the country.

Visitors to the Sea Monster Museum watch these remarkable creatures brought to life through a lively mix of words, images and videos, an action-packed multimedia display that culminates in a spectacular interactive plinth, the first of its kind in Iceland.

First-hand accounts from eye-witnesses are joined on-screen by academic theories on the nature of sea monsters, while a variety of relics and artefacts relating to this mysterious branch of zoology appear throughout the museum as tangible evidence for their existence.

And to feed monster appetites, the museum cafeteria offers a range of light refreshments and snacks.

Accommodation in three rooms with a shared bathroom (2 wc 1 shower) in an old house built in 1912 as a priest's lodge. Surrounded by beautiful nature, ideal for hikes around the area.
In the same house you will find a café during the summertime, open between 12:30-17:00 o´clock.
We also produce and sell food from our own sheep farm.

The Environment Agency of Iceland's exhibition on the nature reserve Surtarbrandsgil (e. Lignite canyon) is on the bottom floor and is open daily from 10. June until 10. August. Exhibition on the fossils and lignite in Surtarbrandsgil, along with information about the settler Hrafna Flóki, who named our country Iceland.

In relation to the exhibitions opening hours, hikes to the canyon led by a land ranger are available during these times:
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 13:00.

Please note that hiking up the canyon is prohibited unless accompanied by a ranger. For further information, call 822-4080 or 831-9675.

The Museum of Sorcery and Witchcraft was opened in the summer of year 2000 and attracts around 11 thousand guests every year.

The exhibition tells the story of the witchcraze in Iceland in the 17th century and how witchcraft is presented in our folklore. Guests will learn about certain witchcraft cases and about different witchcraft like necropants to gather money, find a thiefe and wake up the dead.

Location: Holmavik
Tel: (+354) 451-3525
galdrasyning@holmavik.is
www.galdrasyning.is

Open all year.
Summer hours: May 15th - September 3oth: 10:00-18:00
Winter hours: Oktober 1st - Mayl 15th: Mon-Fri 12:00-18, Sat & Sun 13:00-18:00

Stúkuhúsið café/restaurant has a great location in the middle of the town Patreksfjordur, right next to the pool.

The view from Stúkuhúsið is stunning, overlooking the fjord.

Available is soup of the day with freshly baked bread. Homemade cakes, espresso coffee and delicious local food.

For opening hours and further information, please visito our Facebook page or our website, www.stukuhusid.is.

The Arctic Fox Centre is a non-profit research and exhibition center, focusing on the arctic fox (Vulpes lagopus) - the only native terrestrial mammal in Iceland.

The Arctic Fox Centre was established on September 15th 2007 in Sudavik Westfjords. Founders were 42, mostly local people, tourist operators and municipalities in the Westfjords. All of which share their interest in the arctic foxes and believe in increasing ecotourism in Iceland. The idea of the Arctic Fox Centre comes from prof. Pall Hersteinsson, University of Iceland and he serves as a quality witness for the center.

The long term aim is to collect all available knowledge and material relevant to the arctic fox in past and presence.

We house an exhibition focusing on educating material:

  • About biology and history of the arctic foxes as a species.
  • About the war that has been waged between the man and the arctic fox, since the early settlement of humans in Iceland (1100 years).
  • About the status and specialities of the Arctic Foxes in Iceland and other regions of its distributional range.
  • About fox hunting as the oldest paid operation in Iceland, methods and materials, stories and descriptions.
  • About fox farming activities and it´s consequences for the wild population throughout the decades.

We emphasize on:

  • Participate in and promote research programs on Icelandic arctic fox populations, in collaboration with academic and research centers.
  • Participate in developing sustainable wildlife torism in Iceland, in collaboration with the authorities and other interested parties.
  • Stimulate development and manufacturing on handicraft and souvenirs, specialized for The Arctic Fox Center.

Open:

  • May 15 - Sept 30: 10:00-18:00
  • Oct 01 - May 14: Upon request