Crafts & Design

Hnjótur Museum in Örlygshöfn in Patreksfjörður, displays a unique collection of old items from the Southern Westfjords.

The museum shows the history of fishing, farming and everyday life in the area.

At the museum is an exhibition about the rescue of the British trawler Dhoon that stranded at Látrabjarg cliffs in 1947.

At the museum is an attractive cafeteria, souvenir shop and information center.

Opening hours: Daily from 10:00 - 18:00, May 1st to September 30th.

Please contact for visits outside scheduled opening hours (museum@hnjotur.is or 456 1511)

Products available: Smoked lamb.

Please contact for further information.

Tales of sea monsters have played a colourful role in Icelandic folk culture for centuries, and several written accounts of them can be found all around the country. Today, these elusive creatures have been given a worthy home at the Icelandic Sea Monster Museum, located in the village of Bildudalur on the shores of Arnarfjörður fjord, said to be one of the most prolific centres of monster activity in the country.

Visitors to the Sea Monster Museum watch these remarkable creatures brought to life through a lively mix of words, images and videos, an action-packed multimedia display that culminates in a spectacular interactive plinth, the first of its kind in Iceland.

First-hand accounts from eye-witnesses are joined on-screen by academic theories on the nature of sea monsters, while a variety of relics and artefacts relating to this mysterious branch of zoology appear throughout the museum as tangible evidence for their existence.

And to feed monster appetites, the museum cafeteria offers a range of light refreshments and snacks.

Welcome to Guesthouse Nýp! B&B, twin or double, full bedding.

Our guesthouse is off the beaten track with fantastic scenery across the Breiðafjörður bay and a view to the Vestfjords. Two guest rooms with shared bathroom facilities plus three rooms, each with a private bathroom. All rooms include chosen books and original art. Breakfast available with home baked bread, jam of wild berries and vegetables from our own gardens. Recently we opened new guest rooms and an exhibition space in the former cowshed, attached to the house. The refurbishment is designed by Studio Bua Architects. The first exhibition displays drawings, photos and models concerning the new design. As souvenirs for our guests, we have selected local handcraft for sale.

In 1937 concrete housing was built at the sheep farm Nýp to replace the traditional turf houses. However, farming was abandoned in the 70s and the house stood neglected and empty until 2001, when the present owners began renovations. Feel free to contact us for further information.

Bookings - and to view the exhibition, please contact: thora@this.is Tel. +354 896 1930 or +354 891 8674. You can also find us on Facebook here.